Thursday, June 20, 2013

I AM Superwoman ~ Super what??? (Part One)

As I sit on my porch and listen to the birds chirping I have time to reflect and more importantly peace and quiet....a rarity for sure. I have realized that I am one busy woman.  My mom used to say that she was not Superwoman.  Well of course not Mom, I thought to myself as any small child would.  Superwoman wore boots and a cape and had long dark wavy hair.  our hair is blond and you certainly don't have a cape or boots like she does.  And as I got older I realized what she meant.  And now that I have children of my own I really know what she meant.

As a working Mom of 2 crazy girls it isn't easy - as many of you know.  Trying to balance a career, family, household stuff, time for me, time for my husband, time for my kids, birthday parties, baking stuff for school events, planning parties and play dates...ok I'm tired just thinking about it.  When did life become so crazy? How did it get this way?

How DID life get so out of hand?  Is it that we are all trying to outdo each other?  Do we place too much pressure on ourselves to be good and successful at everything we do?  Maybe.  I know I am a perfectionist which doesn't lead to a stress free life.  I want the best for my kids, for myself, for my husband, for my family and friends.  But I can't be everyone's provider, go-to person, psychiatrist, cook, maid, taxi cab driver.

Case in point.  On a daily basis I am constantly reminding my 6 1/2 year old daughter to put her morning milk cup in the sink - maybe even wash it out (which really may be asking too much).  This morning I saw her cup on the couch slowly dribbling milk out of the straw.  I turned to her and politely asked her 3 times to PLEASE put the cup in the sink and go get dressed. Now this child is VERY intelligent and already has developed selective hearing.  She goes into her room to get dressed, comes out and sits down to watch TV.  So I look at her and say "umm...did you forget something?" And I walk away.  2 minutes later she has her sneakers on and says "ok Mom. Got my sneakers on".  And so again I say "ummm...did you forget something?"  With a completely stunned look on her face and slight irritation in her voice she says "well what else do I need to do?"  My response was plainly "the cup my dear. Put it in the sink".  With that came the stomping and screaming of a very tall 6 1/2 year old stating "WHY DO I HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING!!" to which I replied "I am not superwoman. I am not the maid. I do not pick up or clean up after everyone else.  You are old enough to clean up your own mess and that includes putting your milk cup in the sink where it belongs."  One would think by the look I received that I asked her to do a dissertation on world peace and present at the UN Summit.

And that my friends is my Mommy Maid moment.  (to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment